Sunday 17 August 2008

Frustration! w/c 11/08/08

I have been on standby waiting to swim now for 10 days.

My original slot was the 7th - 16th August, but due to the rubbish weather that we have had recently unfortunately I haven't been able to go, despite an addiction to weather forecasting website windguru!!

My neap tide has now expired and the spring tides are back (spring tides are not favoured by swimmers as there is more water in the sea, meaning a bigger "S" has to be swum across the channel - increasing the distance swum).

Despite this though I really want to get a swum done before Saturday, as if I don't manage to go before then the next set of neap tides, new swimmers will get priority and I will potentially have to wait until the end of the season; i.e. end of September. This is the worst case scenario as it would mean I would have to scale back up the training to longer swims, and also mean I will miss loads of good events at the end of summer. Not ideal, but I am more than willing to do it given all the time invested into this challenge.

Due to the bad weather this year the success rate of swimmers has been low. On Friday 10 people attempted to swim the channel and only 1 succeeded, as the weather got quite nasty at very late notice.

As the channel swimming mantra states though ".. nothing great is ever easy..." and that has been bourne out to me over the past few weeks.

No comments: